1. Do you feel like crying more often now than you normally have in the past? Do you feel sad or blue much of the time? When you see yourself in the mirror, do you appear to be sad, or do others comment that you no longer seem happy?
2. Do you frequently have a sense of hopelessness or helplessness? Do you think that nothing matters or that nothing will do any good? Does the phrase, ?What?s the use?? comes to mind frequently?
3. Do you have less motivation and interest in activities, hobbies, work or relationships you have previously enjoyed?
4. Has your sleep pattern changed? Do you find yourself unable to sleep at night, or struggling with restlessness that leaves you tired in the morning? Do you have trouble getting out of bed, wanting to sleep all day?
5. Have you had thoughts recently that life is just not worth living? Do you wish God would just take you home?
6. Do you dread the beginning of a new day, the anticipation of your responsibilities, decisions, and meetings with co-workers or others?
7. Are you anxious and stressed? Are you worried and concerned about the past or about what the future may hold?
8. Have your eating patterns changed? Have you lost your appetite? Is even favorite food no longer of interest? Are you eating much more than you previously did, perhaps even an excessive intake of junk foods?
9. Do you have less energy than usual? Are there other physical symptoms that differ from the past, such as frequency of headaches, upset stomach, constipation, or rapid heartbeat?
10. Do you feel that you are not functioning as well at work as you have in the past, and that others are beginning to notice this?
Used by permission of New Life Ministries. New Life Ministries has a variety of resources on men, women and relationships. Call 1-800-NEW-LIFE or visit www.newlife.com.
From “100 Ways to Overcome Depression” by Steve Arterburn, New Life Ministries. Used with Permission.